Membership Day NEXT Choice
Get ready to cast your ballots for “The NEXT Choice”
The NEXT Choice will be a balloted voting process (similar to a referendum) in which delegates will cast up to six colored ballots regarding a question of critical importance to the Order of the Arrow’s future. Your delegation’s vote will shape the Order’s NEXT Business Plan (2017-2019). Balloting will take place tomorrow (8/2) as follows:
- Breakfast at the McNutt Dining Center (7:00 to 9:00 a.m.)
- Lunch at the McNutt Dining Center (12:00 to 1:30 p.m.)
- Dinner at Walnut Grove (6:00 to 8:00 p.m.)
You can cast up to six ballots (each with a different, assigned point value) on behalf of your delegation. You can cast your ballots however you like, keeping in mind that your ballots are meant to indicate which issues are most important to your delegation. The more points you cast for a particular issue, the more important that issue is to your delegation.
You have told us that the national organization needs to better support you in delivering a high-quality OA program at the lodge level. We already have a number of plans in the works to help you, but there is much more to be done. The NEXT Choice is: What should the national organization be doing to better serve lodges? Ballots can be cast for the following issues:
- Assist with External Relations (help sell the OA to Scout Executives, other Scouting professionals, parents, non-OA scouts, Cub Scouts and the community).
- Be an Advocate with Units (educate Scoutmasters and troop committees about the Order’s value, re-tool the election process, reconsider the OA’s role in camp promotions and determine the OA’s role in BSA membership growth and retention).
- Provide Communication Templates (develop off-the-shelf methods to help lodges communicate with members, create promotional materials, generate online resources and provide technology support).
- Reassess the OA’s Operational Structure (consider the role of the national committee, region and section in supporting lodges; determine the suggested structure of the Lodge Executive Committee; evaluate the role of chapters).
- Reduce Demands on Lodge Key 3 (evaluate the programs and requirements that the national organization create for lodge key 3 implementation).
- Streamline the Induction Sequence (re-tool the entire process from election to Brotherhood, update OA ceremonies and create resources to convert elected Scouts to OA membership).
Ballot values will be as follows:
- White: 10 points
- Red: 20 points
- Silver: 30 points
- Blue: 40 points
- Grey (with white border): 50 points
- Black: 60 points
Convene your delegation to carefully consider how you will allocate your ballots (you can vote for any or all issues). The NEXT Choice is yours.